Saturday, May 21, 2011

Lentil Beet Dish


One of my fave lentil dishes.  We eat a lot of lentils around here.

4 beets- either roasted or canned- diced into small pieces
3/4 C. dry lentils
1-2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 C. diced red onion (I actually sautee it because I don't like raw onion)

2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. honey
1 tsp. ground coriander
mint and cilantro (or just choose one or omit both- it still tastes great!)



1. Combine lentils with ginger (I only use about 1/2 tsp, but you can put as much ginger in as you like) in a saute pan and cover with two inches of water.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently, about 20 minutes.  Drain, then stir in 1/2 tsp. salt.


2.  Combine remaining salt, ginger (about another tsp.), red onion, vinegar, honey.  Let stand 15 min. (if you have time- which I never do, and I think it tastes fine)  Whisk in 1 tsp. olive oil and coriander.  Pour over lentils and toss to coat.


3.  Top with beets, mint, and cilantro

No comments:

Post a Comment