Saturday, May 21, 2011

Yogurt Berry Waffles


Our favorite waffle recipe
from Williams Sonoma Waffle Cookbook: Waffles from morning to midnight


4 TBSP butter
1 3/4 C whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. double-acting baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. cinnamon

1 cup yogurt (I prefer vanilla or strawberry for sweetness, but plain tastes great too, especially when doused with maple syrup once done) :)

1 Cup milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Cup fresh or frozen berries.  (I like blueberries or I do a mix of berries)

1. Preheat waffle iron.
2.  Melt the butter in a little dish.  In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon.  (This is where I'll also throw in a handful of ground flaxseed meal and wheat germ or oat bran.)
3.  In another bowl vigorously whisk together the yogurt, milk, eggs and vanilla (I'll just use my pyrex measuring glass and measure out the milk, then throw the yogurt, eggs and vanilla in there and mix it right in- this is to save washing more bowls).
4.  Gradually pour the liquid over the dry and mix until just combined.  Fold in the berries and melted butter.
5.  Cook you up some delish waffles and enjoy! I have also doubled the recipe and then frozen the extras between sheets of wax paper in a freezer ziploc.  Just pop it in the toaster when you want one.

** My fave combos would have to be- vanilla yogurt with blueberries, strawberry yogurt with berries or peaches.  Please note that when you use frozen berries- defrost them first- there will be lots of juice.  I just pour the juice into the measuring cup to replace some of the milk.

*** Oh, and rice or soy milk works great too.

No comments:

Post a Comment