Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Waffles


from Waffles from Morning to Midnight

5 TBSP butter
1 cup pumpkin puree (ha! I read this 1 CAN and put the whole can in-- no wonder the batter was so thin and they were totally floppy- but very tasty anyway)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 tsp peeled grated fresh ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
(***OR you can replace all those individual spices with 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice and 1 tsp cinnamon)
pinch of salt
1 1/3 cups flour (I use whole wheat)
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup milk
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 large eggs
2 TBSP orange juice
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Melt the butter. Reserve. In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, sugars, spices, and salt. Mix together well.

2. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. The mixture will be thick and a little lumpy. don't try to smooth it out; just mix until the ingredients are incorporated.

3. In another bowl, beat together the milk, yogurt, eggs, juice, and vanilla. Add the liquid ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and stir until combined. Fold in the melted butter and start cookin'. (Spray the waffle iron well, this is sticky batter.)

2 comments:

  1. So delicious! I think I'll try a little less sugar in them next time, though I think all that sugar is what makes them truly pumpkin PIE waffles. I put syrup on one of them and felt totally indulgent. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I always like waffles. But Jen, is the one who made me discover the array of things you can do with them. I have tried her blueberry waffles, and of course her pumpkin waffles! So good!

    ReplyDelete