Monday, October 10, 2011

Black bean chili with butternut squash and swiss chard

 from Bon Appetit Fast Easy Fresh

Probably my favorite autumnal stew of all time.

2 TBSP olive oil
2 1/2 cups chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 1/2 cups 1/2-inch pieces of peeled butternut squash
2 TBSP chili powder (I omit this and it's still very tasty)
2 tsp ground cumin
2 cans black beans (15 oz. cans)
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 can diced tomatoes in juice (15 oz.) or better yet- dice up a couple fresh tomatoes
3 cups packed coarsely chopped swiss chard leaves (I use the stalks too) or kale or any other yummy greens

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; saute until tender and golden, about 10 minutes. Add squash; stir 2 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cumin. Stir in beans, broth and tomatoes with juice (if you're using the stalks, put them in now to give them time to soften); bring to boil.

Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in chard; simmer until chard is as tender as you want it (the book says 4 minutes, but I like more tender). Season to taste with salt and pepper.

** Very easy if your husband cuts up all the ingredients for you the night before. Then, when the dinner hour rolls around you throw it all in a pot and let it simmer for a long time.
*** Serves only 4, so I like to double it. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't like this, even our picky friends and friends' kids will eat this.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for showing me this blog! We made this tonight and is SO good! I told Brian how excited I was for this blog because (and I quote) "we've never had a recipe from Jennifer that wasn't good".

    ReplyDelete